Saturday, March 14, 2009

Nice Ride



I got my first ride on a Gulfstream jet this week. We had a meeting in Corpus Christi, and flew from Houston to Corpus on one of the corporate jets. Sweet!
I arrived at the corporate hangar, and was given reserved parking. I waited in a private room until time to go. The pilot came out and introduced himself, and when it was time to go, led us to the jet--no security, we just boarded and took off. This plane holds 14, and we had a pilot, co-pilot, and attendant. The food was fabulous, both going and coming. The thrust on this little plane was tremendous, a real thrill as we took off. Leather seats, tons of room, no annoying instructions on how to fasten a seat belt. I think the coolest feature though was the window shade. You push a button and a hidden window shade (built inside the double-paned window) comes down. Push it a second time and a black-out shade comes down.
One of the guys riding with us told me he really wanted to get his pilot's license, and at one point was even taking lessons. I asked him how much a plane like the one we were on would cost. He said he had looked at used Piper Cubs and they ran about $70,000. So I asked if the one we were on was maybe $2,000,000? He said he subscribed to a some flying magazines and would look it up. He got back to the me the next morning. He found an ad for a used GulfStream G450, just like the one we were on. Asking price--$39,500,000. Looks like I will have to moonlight at Mickey D's to afford one of these puppies.

No comments:

Play These Songs at my Funeral