Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ex Nihilo

Latin, of course. It means "out of nothing". A common usage is to explain how the world was created--that God somehow created the world in some sort of mystical way, from nothing. My religion teaches that the creation refers to organizing pre-existing materials into the planet we now inhabit. The Latin term for that is "creatio ex materia".

While being far from knowledgeable in the various disciplines of geoscience, I do find the doctrine of organizational creation so much more rational than placing my faith in principles that violate thermodynamics and the laws of physics as we understand them today. However...



You tell me where tomato worms come from. They just appear, every single time I grow tomatoes, in every state in which I have lived. And I have never seen them anywere except on tomato plants. I think tomato worms make the best case one could ever posit for Creatio Ex Nihilo. Don't you?

(click on the photo for a surprising view of a fight; you and i aren't the only ones who don't like tomato worms!)

1 comment:

Katie and joe said...

ewwwww! i don't know where those things come from. BUT i do know that you grow some of the best tomatoes, and those bugs know it and will follow you where ever you go!

Play These Songs at my Funeral