Monday, February 16, 2009

Think in Parallel, Not Sequentially

So after a few days in Houston last week, I was ready to get home to Edwardsville. I arrive at Hobby airport and see that my plane is on time. It pulls into the gate an hour before departure, so I'm thinking this is good news. We board right on schedule, everyone is seated and it's time to close the door for an on-time departure, and I'm starting to relax.
Just then, the captain takes the microphone to announce to us all that there will be a slight delay. He says something like "the system that keeps your luggage from burning up in the cargo hold isn't working". He says it will take thirty minutes for Maintenance to correct it. Sigh.
After thirty minutes, the captain comes back and tells us he's back as promised to give us an update. No, captain, you said it would be done in thirty minutes. Whatever. His update is that the noise we are hearing (lots of banging below our feet) is the luggage being removed. He says the luggage has to be removed to test the repaired system. I'm thinking to myself, why couldn't someone have started removing the luggage the moment they knew there would be a repair/test cycle? Is this their first rodeo?
Then, fifteen minutes later, the captain is back. He says the repair worked, but now they have to "do the paperwork". I get that, it's important to document repairs, but couldn't someone have been doing the paperwork as the repair and test were progressing, so that by the time the test was complete, it would just be a matter of a signature or two and we could be on our way? It took fifteen minutes to do the paperwork and get the door closed so we could push back.
It just seemed like once they knew they had a delay, all that famous Southwest on-time teamwork stopped, and everyone started thinking sequentially, one step at a time, no reason to hurry now.
But hey--they did offer us all a free bag of crackers for the hour delay. And my bags didn't burn up.

2 comments:

Porter Family said...

Wow. I think with your brains and people skills we should give you control over taking care of the economy. I'd trust you'd do it parallellally and not sequentially. Have a great break in Cancun.

The Real Sugarbear said...

I would definitely do it parallellally. Please send me all your money and I will invest it wisely for you in Cancun.

Play These Songs at my Funeral