Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Missionary's Prayer

The end of another day,
Of knocking on doors
And even stopping people in the street, asking,
“Can we have a few minutes of your time?”

Another day of rejection,
Of quickly closed doors
And people who are too busy to talk about
The most important thing in the world.

So I sit at my little desk,
Pondering the scriptures,
And thinking about the life
Of another who also found little acceptance.

I don’t know if I can get out bed tomorrow.

Why didn’t that beautiful family
That we taught for weeks
Accept the gospel
And receive all the blessings it brings?

The pain I feel in my feet
From walking all day is nothing,
Compared to the pain
I feel in my soul.

Oh please, Heavenly Father,
Help me to be a better missionary.
Help me to better express
The testimony that burns in my heart.

I’ll work even harder.
I’ll wear out these shoes
And humble myself so that pride and
The pain of rejection don’t show.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I’ll get out of bed tomorrow—
In fact I’ll get up even earlier.
It doesn’t have to be me
Who brings that family into the church.

But please, please send them someone
Who can do what I couldn’t.
I only want for them what was also given to me:
The Spirit of God, like a fire in my heart.

No comments:

Play These Songs at my Funeral